First Presbyterian Church of Lancaster, Lancaster, PA
Purpose: Ensure that the facilities are well‐maintained. Coordinate daily business operations. Responsible for executing strategies for finance, budgeting operations, human resources, payroll, and administration.
Reports to: Lead Pastor
Supervises: Operations Assistant and Operations Clerk
Essential Job Functions:
● Direct the maintenance of building systems, including HVAC, security, elevators, sprinklers, etc.
● Review financial reports, monitor accounts, prepare active reports and financial forecasts.
● Maintain the Church Calendar and coordinate set‐up to support scheduled functions.
● Create, acquire approval, and implement short and long‐term facilities goals.
● Plan, implement and maintain technology infrastructure and equipment.
● Under the Direction of the Pastors and Elders, develops policies and procedures for operational functions.
● Provide inspired leadership for the operation of the Church.
● Detect areas of possible improvement.
● Negotiate contracts and manage vendors.
● Assist with the budget process.
● Provide reports and maintain files on financial information, including endowments.
Reasonable Accommodation: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions. Knowledge/Skill/Ability Requirements:
● Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a field related to business administration
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Knowledgeable in church and non‐profit operations
● Leadership ability to direct contractors and staff
● Friendly personality, with ability to read and adapt to interpersonal cues
● Solid knowledge and understanding of accounting principles, software and audits
● Ability to work well on a team
● Ability to choose the right mathematical methods or formulas to solve a problem
● Knowledge of how to diagnose, troubleshoot and resolve operating facilities problems
● Ability to understand mechanical systems within the building (HVAC, electrical, plumbing,
sprinkler system, etc.)
● Ability to acquire State and Federal Security Clearances
Interpersonal Relationships: Daily interactions with church staff and members of congregation (especially those active with church volunteer activities, e.g., trustees, worship leaders, etc.); frequent interactions with facilities and maintenance staff to schedule work; occasional interaction with city official/s (fire marshal, code inspectors) and the general public (concerts, weddings). Work relationships require problem‐solving skills and coordination of work with others using church facilities effectively. Incumbent is expected to exercise good judgement with regard to approval for facility
access in cooperation with supervisors.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements: City‐based church over 275 years old. Property in city of Lancaster; buildings 100+ years old; HVAC, roof, plumbing and electrical systems of varying ages; gas and oil heating (furnace and boilers).
Work Schedule: Incumbent is an exempt salaried position, with occasional evening, weekend and holiday work. Incumbent is required to be available as needed for emergency situations.