Media

Back To List

Avondale Presbyterian Introduces "My Special Worship Service"

Avondale Presbyterian Introduces "My Special Worship Service"

Sep 11, 2016

Subject: Donegal Church News

Every Sunday... Avondale will offer “My Special Worship Service” where God’s children of all ages and abilities can come to worship God and learn of His love.

As the mother of a daughter with an intellectual disability, Kathy Barto has had a heavy heart for families with special needs individuals who don’t attend church because they have never found it to be a comfortable, stress-free setting. Beginning on Sunday, October 2, 2016 at 11:00AM, Avondale Presbyterian Church is changing that. Every Sunday, the church located at 420 Pennsylvania Avenue (Route 41) in Avondale will offer “My Special Worship Service” where God’s children of all ages and abilities can come to worship God and learn of His love. Barto says, “In Matthew 19:14, Jesus said, ‘Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God.’” Traditional services are generally quiet and reflective, especially during the sermon and Holy Communion. Barto continues, “If people want to talk during My Special Worship Service – they are welcome to talk. They are also welcome to dance, sing, and shout, if they are so moved.”

This half-hour service will include music, singing, scripture, prayer, and a short message. A freewill offering will be received. After worship, there will be a social time in the Great Hall. The goal of this worship service is to help children and adults with physical, mental, and developmental differences, and their caregivers, friends, and relatives grow in their understanding of God’s great love while reaching out to all who would like to become part of a church family.

Find answers to Frequently Asked Questions at www.avondalepc.org or contact Kathy Barto at 610.235.9544. The church has a supervised Sensory Room addressing all seven senses. Parking for the physically disabled is available. The facility is fully wheelchair-accessible with an elevator as well as ADA bathrooms. Personal sound systems for the hearing impaired are available in the sanctuary.